from Amy

Sunday, June 12, 2011
Things here in Pemberton are intense, but in a calm way. The doctor was here yesterday, and although I wasn't here at the time, she said that it is not a matter of months, but rather weeks, or possibly less. Everyone was upset by this diagnosis. Marty and I were talking later in the evening and he expressed that he was envious that I have plans and hopes for the future and that he probably only has a few weeks left of hopes.  It was a sad moment.  I am trying to be present with Marty when I am with him, and it is difficult and complicated.  Sometimes when I think he is talking non-sensibly, I humor him a bit and ask questions in order to fall his thought process, and sometimes I discover that he is speaking metaphorically about life and his experience, like he is trying to tell me something from far away.

Marty is now on oxygen most of the time, and is blood oxygen saturation level drops low when he is not on it. He is only awake occasionally, and even then, he usually keeps his eyes closed. He talks but is only sometimes coherent, and he is easily confused and disoriented when he awakens.
He does not seem to be in any pain, and he has not had any coughing fits since we started the oxygen yesterday. Until a few days ago he was eating a lot, but now he is only eating a little. Though he is still eating lots of strawberries.

Marty is still sometimes uncomfortable with the fact that he needs a lot of help.  And he is not comfortable with the idea that he is putting other people out.  I know he would rather do the helping and the giving, but we are happy to be able to help him and make his time pleasant and comfortable. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amy, stay strong. you are an amazing woman and martin is lucky to have you by his side. alice xo

Inga Thomson Hilton said...

My heart goes out to each of you. The last days are precious, but so difficult. Please give Martin an squeeze of the hand from me, one of his Callanish friends.

Post a Comment

 

...

Search This Blog

Followers